Close

Sun Subscriber Website Login






Please wait....
 
News Story
Updated: 03/27/2014 08:00:05AM

Mercury cleanup cost could top $100,000

Share this story:


ARCADIAN PHOTO BY SUSAN E. HOFFMAN

DeSoto County High School student Donny Stiner was inspired by the work of 19th century scientist Nikola Tesla to investigate electromagnets for the 2014 science fair. He will represent the school at the state science fair.

By SUSAN E. HOFFMAN

Text Size:


DeSoto Middle School reopened for students on Monday, after almost two weeks of closure due to a spill of liquid mercury. One student had brought mercury from home — where he found it together with an old scale — and took it to the middle school.

Some of the mercury spilled in the school, resulting in concerns about exposure of students to mercury which, in some forms, can be highly toxic to humans. Parents of the student’s classmates were also concerned about their children’s exposure.

You are currently not logged in
By logging in you can see the full story.

Subscribe to 
							the E-Edition
Get the Sun Delivered


ADVERTISEMENT