The ladies of the Capt. John W. Whidden chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, celebrated Christmas with a trip to LaBelle for a luncheon and meeting at Forry’s Grill, followed by a tour of the historic Capt. Francis A. Hendry House.
Leading the tour was Joseph H. Thomas, a professor at Edison State College and Director of the LaBelle Heritage Museum. He explained the Hendry House is owned by the City of LaBelle and used for meetings, weddings and other social events. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1914.
The group then visited the LaBelle Heritage Museum where Thomas discussed the various displays and offered a history of LaBelle.
During the meeting portion of the day’s agenda, Cheryl McColley and Judy Bronson were inducted into the chapter and presented with certificates and welcome bags. Vice president Jeanette Peeples was presented with certificates for four supplemental Confederate ancestors.
For more information about the Capt. John W. Whidden chapter, UDC, call Linda Purvis at 863-471-6499.