SEBRING — The School Board of Highlands County recognized more than 40 students at a special meeting Tuesday who had perfect state assessment test scores in the Spring of 2017.
The district had a total of 42 students with perfect scores including seven students with perfect scores on two assessments.
The students with perfect scores included 20 at the elementary level, 14 at the middle school level and eight at the high school level.
Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Programs Anne Lindsay thanked the students’ first teacher.
“You may be thinking about the person you had in kindergarten or first grade, but your first teacher was your mom or your dad or both and sometimes it might have been a grandparent or a friend or aunt or uncle,” she said.
Lindsay also thanked the principals and teachers who have made a commitment to a career in education and who make an open and inviting environment for their students to learn and thrive.
“For our School Board and administration, thank you for putting kids first because that truly is what it is all about,” she said.
Lindsay thanked the students who showed the drive and desire to excel and exceed.
The list of students with perfect scores follows with their school and grade level from the 2016-17 school year, with the abbreviations FSA for Florida Standards Assessment, ELA for English language arts and EOC for the end-of-course exam:
• Avon Elementary third-graders: Jace King (FSA Math) and Kolby McIntyre (FSA ELA and Math).
• Cracker Trail Elementary fourth-graders: Madison Hartline (FSA ELA), Sondos Katramiz (FSA Math), Rebecca Kesling (FSA ELA and Math), Leah Koehler (FSA ELA), Brody Morris (FSA ELA and Math), Brock Riley (FSA ELA and Math), Kaylee Sasser (FSA ELA)
• Lake Country Elementary: third-grader Sonny Holland (FSA Math).
•Lake Placid Elementary: fifth-grader Fernando Salgado (Statewide Science)
• Memorial Elementary: fourth-grader Matthew Suarez (FSA Math).
• Park Elementary: third-grader Zachary Meduho (FSA Math).
• Sun ’n Lake Elementary: fourth-graders Ashley Dean (FSA ELA) and Charles Schumacher (FSA Math), fifth-graders Kylie Ellstrom (FSA Math), Kylee Givens (FSA Math) and Louis Suarez (FSA Math).
• Woodlawn Elementary: fourth-grader Gonzalo Rico-Ponce (FSA Math) and fifth-grader Myanna Walton (FSA ELA).
• Avon Park Middle: seventh-grader Kenneth Beck (Civics EOC)
• Hill-Gustat Middle: sixth-graders Angela Huang (FSA Math) and Joyce Zhang, (FSA Math), seventh-graders Miguel Arceo (Civics EOC), Aden Eagle (FSA Algebra I EOC and Civics EOC), Aalexis Knight (FSA ELA and Civics EOC) and Fredrick Pearson (Civics EOC) and eighth-graders Vinay Krishnadas (FSA ELA and Statewide Science) and Brandon Loeb (Statewide Science).
• Sebring Middle: sixth-graders Brenda Hernandez (FSA ELA) and Gavin Palasigue (FSA ELA) and seventh-graders Cole Mislevy (FSA Math) and Alyson Smyth (FSA Math) and eighth-grader Sharon Deosaran (FSA Math).
• Sebring High: ninth-graders Pranav Ananthan (Biology I EOC) and Phil Justin Pineda (FSA ELA) and 10th-graders Aurora Dominguez (U.S. History EOC) and Christopher Wolf (U.S. History EOC) and 11th-graders Keysha Baez Martinez, Emily Brown, Joseph Cardona and Derrick Patterson (all Florida Standards Alternate Assessment Algebra I EOC.