Sun Subscriber Website Login

Please wait....

News Story
Updated: 03/10/2014 04:44:01PM

Phillippe Anthony “Boomer” Denis

Share this story:

Text Size:

Phillippe Anthony “Boomer” Denis, of Venice, Fla. died recently after a short illness. He was 61 years old. His wife, D’Arcy Harrison Denis, was by his side.

Born and raised in Manchester, N.H., Mr. Denis was a member of the last graduating class of St. Anthony High School and attended New Hampshire College (Southern New Hampshire University), where he served as the Sports Information Director. Mr. Denis began his career as a sports writer for the Manchester (NH) Union Leader in 1968.

He later switched to news and rose to the Union Leader’s Salem Bureau Chief where he directed coverage for the largest news zone outside of the main office. His coverage included the 1976 Presidential campaign where he interviewed Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan and covered then President Gerald R. Ford.

Mr. Denis continued his career as a news and sports reporter for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and Journal from 1977 until his death. Between 1981 to 1999, he was also the Public Relations and Marketing Director for two greyhound racing complexes, the Sarasota Kennel Club and Sanford-Orlando Kennel Club.

In 1977, he broke the news of the capture of Wilfred “Rusty” Bannister who had kidnapped 15-year- old Charlotte Gross from a campsite at Oscar Scherer State Park. Mr. Denis switched to his first love, sports reporting, and during his career covered the Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds and Baltimore Orioles during spring training, Florida State University football, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their early winless days.

Mr. Denis was well-known for his stellar coverage of high school wrestling, swimming, football and volleyball throughout the region and state. Mr. Denis also spent more than 35 years as a statistician for the Florida State League (Class A) and Florida Gulf Coast League (Rookie). Mr. Denis was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and received a liver transplant in January of 2013. He recovered and returned to sports writing for the Herald-Tribune until again taking ill in December 2013.

Mr. Denis’ family wishes to thank his wonderful friends and the staff of Tidewell Hospice for their love and support. At the request of Mr. Denis, no service will be held. He asked that memorial donations be made to: Donate Life Florida 40 Sarasota Center Blvd., Ste. 107 Sarasota, Fl 34230; Tidewell Hospice Philanthropy Department, 5955 Rand Boulevard, Sarasota, FL 34238,