Sun Subscriber Website Login

News Story
Updated: 03/14/2014 08:06:12AM

Expect the unexpected

Share this story:

I caught this 28 pound Permit on Sunday -- its in the article -- it was UNEXPECTED -- please use the pic with my article

By Capt. Mike Myers

Text Size:

As we all know, snook season opened almost two months ago. In my family, the minute the season opens is a pretty big deal. My wife and I have made it somewhat of a tradition to be on the water at the stroke of midnight for the start of each snook season over the years. Our goal is to land the first linesider of the night, for bragging rights of course. There’s no true way to tell if we land the first fish of the season, but in our minds, we always win — that is, if we get a keeper. This past opening was truly special, due to the fact that snook season had been closed for the past three years. Not sure who landed the first keeper that night, Stacy (my beautiful wife) had her 32-inch submission on the deck at 12:18 a.m., and it was on her first cast. To the chagrin of the other 20 anglers around us, she definitely landed the first one under the bridge we were fishing that night. I’d like to thank the fine folks at T&T bait and tackle in Placida for showing their support to us snook fishing enthusiasts by staying open late that night so we could all have fresh bait to fish with. An unexpected surprise for sure, thanks guys.

This past week I took WaterLine editor Lee Anderson and publisher Josh Olive out for a short shark trip. Our goal was to post the action on Facebook as it unfolded so you the readers could get a small feel of the way our day was going. The action, luckily, turned out to be fast and furious with 14 sharks hooked in three short hours (the first hour was spent catching bait). I kinda knew the bite was going to be good, but what I didn’t expect was all the crazy stuff that unfolded. We had baits spit out and bitten in half, leaders snap and a hook break in half. Now these are things that can just happen from time to time while shark fishing, and I take that into consideration when I’m preparing for each trip. What I wasn’t prepared for on this trip (which I should have been) was how aggressive the sharks where going to be. The way I attach my baits to the hooks allows them to shoot up the line when a shark takes off on a drag-screaming run. A lot of times, the bait gets stuck on the swivel 6 feet in front of the hooked shark. Not a problem, most of the time. On this day, it turned out to be quite a problem, as the other sharks were attacking the baits that slid up the line. I think we had six sharks cut off by other sharks attacking the baits the hooked sharks had already attacked. I’m thankful it was only a short trip, because I didn’t prepare for the unexpected on this day. Another 30 minutes and I would have been out of terminal tackle. With Josh and Lee on board, I guess I should have expected the unexpected, just saying.

You are currently not logged in
By logging in you can see the full story.

Subscribe to 
							the E-Edition
Get the Sun Delivered