PETA APPLAUDS FISHING BAN
A Southern California beach city extended a ban on fishing from its ocean pier for up to two months after a swimmer was attacked last week by a great white shark that had been hooked and played by a fisherman for more than half an hour. Manhattan Beach city manager Mark Danaj said city officials decided July 7 to extend the temporary fishing ban enacted after the incident. He said the ban will be extended for up to 60 days while state fish and wildlife officials, local agencies and city leaders study the incident. The city took the step the same day that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals urged the city to permanently ban fishing at its ocean pier as a result of the incident. In a letter to the Southern California beach city’s mayor, PETA said the incident “demonstrates fishing in a populated area increases the risk that sharks will bite humans, whom they are otherwise uninterested in as prey … It seems clear that the best way to protect public safety and reduce the risk that another swimmer will be injured or killed by a panicked or confused shark is to ban fishing at the pier permanently.”
You are currently not logged in
By logging in you can see the full story.